We invite middle school students to create original art about the following theme:
Challenges, Feelings, and Takeaways from COVID-19
Students may consider the following questions in planning and preparing their work:
- What social justice issues has the pandemic highlighted? For example, you may consider inequalities in healthcare access, technology access, education and financial income.
- What are some challenges you or other people have experienced?
- What feelings have you experienced while being away from school, friends and loved ones?
- What are some of the lessons learned?
- Are there any takeaways about things we have taken for granted?
- How could we have handled the pandemic better?
- How should we plan our lives going forward?
- Have you seen or heard any positive messages that uplifted you during the pandemic?
Criteria: Work must be two-dimensional. You need to take a quality photo of your artwork under good lighting and minimal shadow.
Submission: Submit your photo, the title for the art piece and a brief statement (1-3 sentences) describing the artwork’s message along with your consent at the submission page.
Timeline: The deadline for submissions is May 30th, 2021.
Display & Awards: Finalists and winners will be selected based on juror’s choice. The awards are: $75 for first place, $50 for second place, and $25 for third place. In addition, there will be several honorable mentions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.