We invite high school students to create original art to raise awareness about one of the most pressing global issues of our time. Top prize: $250
ART CHALLENGE TOPIC:
Understanding Refugees’ Challenging Life Journeys of Hope and Resilience
The world is facing an unprecedented refugee crisis, with millions of people forced to flee their homes due to conflict, persecution, and climate change. As students, you have a unique perspective on these issues, and we believe that your artwork can play an important role in educating others about the challenges faced by refugees and advocating for their rights. We encourage you to express your ideas and emotions through your art and make your voice heard. Consider the following questions as you think about this topic:
- What is life like for a refugee, separated from his/her home country, culture, and loved ones?
- How can your artwork convey the experiences and emotions of refugees, such as displacement, loss, and resilience?
- What does a refugee have in common with you?
- What are the challenges and needs of a refugee?
- How can your artwork inspire others to take action to support refugees, such as volunteering, donating, or advocating for policy change?
- What are some common misconceptions about refugees, and how can your artwork help to dispel them?
- What are some of the positive contributions that refugees have made to their communities and how can your artwork celebrate their diversity and resilience?
ART CHALLENGE GUIDELINES AND DETAILS:
Grade levels: 9-12
Criteria: Work must be two-dimensional. You need to take a quality photo of your artwork under good lighting and minimal shadow.
Submissions: Submit your photo, the title for the art piece and a brief statement (2-4 sentences) describing the artwork’s message along with your consent at https://forms.gle/rkVf7s5w1v5EEdEx7
Timeline: The deadline for submissions is September 22nd, 2023.
Display & Awards: Finalists and winners will be selected based on the juror’s choice. The awards are: $250 for first place, $125 for second place, and $75 for third place. In addition, there will be honorable mentions.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org